About OxSonics Limited
OxSonics was established in July 2013 to develop a new generation of ultrasound-based medical devices for drug delivery applications. OxSonics is currently conducting the first clinical trial of its platform technology to address a major unmet clinical need – metastatic liver cancer – and is in the process of developing the next generation of its technology towards further clinical indications.
OxSonics “SonoTran” platform has the proven capability to overcome the greatest challenge facing solid tumor cancer therapy by safely delivering drugs throughout tumors, including to those areas that lie farthest from blood vessels. SonoTran can be used to enhance delivery of any cancer drug. A major benefit of OxSonics’ technology is that it provides on-screen feedback to the clinician as to where drug delivery is taking place in real time. OxSonics is based in Oxford, UK.
The position of Junior Development Engineer is responsible for contributing to the ultrasound system design and development including hardware development and testing. The Junior Development Engineer shall be a member of the Engineering Team and will report directly to the Associate Director of Engineering. Listed below are the major responsibilities of the role and a brief description of some of the key tasks to be performed. This list is not totally inclusive and the person will be expected to be flexible toward working in a hands-on, small-team environment to develop the system.
Under direction from the Associate Director of Engineering, the Junior Development Engineer will be responsible for:
1. Ultrasound System Design and Development:
- Design, develop, and test subsystems of the SonoTran ultrasound hardware platform as directed.
- Contribute to system safety testing and validation of the SonoTran platform for both acoustic and electrical safety in line with regulatory requirements.
- Contribute to the regulatory documentation efforts for the design history file and technical file.
2. Additional duties
- This role involves hands on testing in an ultrasound lab using electronics equipment to support rapid product development and testing.
Skills & Experience
The Junior Development Engineer candidate will:
- Have experience or exposure to aspects of hardware design, development and testing:
- Use of electronics laboratory hardware (signal generators, amplifiers, oscilloscopes, etc.)
- Experience in programming microcontrollers, FPGAs, etc
- Have experience or exposure to aspects of software design, development and testing:
- Experience with one or more scientific programming languages – MATLAB, Python etc.
- Experience with version control systems – SVN, GIT, etc. (desirable)
- Have experience or exposure to designing and developing hardware test rigs/prototypes:
- Use of 3D CAD modelling software – FreeCAD, Autodesk Fusion360/Inventor, etc.
- Use of 3D printers (desirable)
- Have experience conducting experiments, analysing results, and writing concise and clear reports and presentations.
- Have the ability to take a flexible approach on a day-to-day basis and perform tasks outside of one’s job description.
- Have the ability to operate as a self-starter in a rapidly changing and dynamic environment.
- Be able to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Be able to manage a wide range of projects simultaneously.
- Be able to apply excellent organizational and reporting skills.
The Junior Development Engineer will have:
- A high BSc degree in electrical/electronic engineering, biomedical engineering, or equivalent (essential); MSc (preferred)
A job description does not imply that the duties stated are the only ones to be performed by the jobholder. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction as requested by their manager.